Old girl won’t testify in the criminal case, but she wants her $$$ so she’s gonna press on with the civil case. That’s some bullshit!
DENVER (Reuters) – Prosecutors in the Kobe Bryant rape case will ask a judge on Wednesday to drop the rape charge against the basketball player, a source close to the case said.
The dismissal would be “with prejudice,” meaning prosecutors could not resurrect the case in the future, legal observers said.
The case was based on a claim by a then 19-year-old woman that the Los Angeles Lakers star raped her last year in his hotel room in a Vail-area resort. He maintained the two had consensual sex and that his only wrongdoing was adultery.
The 26-year-old’s defense team was seen rushing into the courthouse on Wednesday afternoon, followed a few minutes later by the young woman’s attorneys, John Clune and Lin Wood.
All the attorneys were behind closed doors and it was not known if they were all meeting together.
Prosecutors were also seen entering the courthouse in Eagle, Colorado, where opening statements had been slated to begin next Tuesday.
This week, lawyers for both sides have been trying to select a jury.
Earlier on Wednesday, Bryant’s lawyers asked the judge to dismiss the rape charge, arguing prosecutors did not disclose that one of their expert witnesses had information that could help Bryant.
The defense filing did not identify the expert witness, but it is believed to be Dr. Michael Baden, a well-known medical examiner. The prosecution has dropped Baden from its list of expert witnesses.
Bryant’s attorneys said the expert’s statements to prosecutors could have “undermined the accuser’s allegations” and the cause and significance of injuries the then 19-year-old accuser said she sustained when Bryant allegedly raped her.
While the defense routinely asks for a dismissal at the last minute the defense’s claims about the expert witness could have had an influence on the decision.